Want to write a play? Adventure Stage Chicago is seeking original 10-minute plays written by middle school playwrights (grades 6-8) on the theme of EMPATHY IN ACTION: Combating Bullying. The plays will be judged by a panel of local theatre professionals, and the winner will enter the National Young Playwrights for Change competition run by Theatre for Young Audiences/USA (TYA/USA) and the American Alliance for Theatre and Education (AATE).
Think you can’t write a play? We bet YOU CAN! Come to our FREE playwriting workshops on Nov. 12th and Nov. 19th and find your inner playwright!
Playwrights who enter the contest will receive:
- Participation in two free playwriting & theatre workshops at Adventure Stage, led by the ASC family of artists.
- Workshop 1, November12th, from 10am-1pm
- Workshop 2, November 19th, from 10am-1pm
- RSVP for the Workshops at firstname.lastname@example.org
- A free one-on-one playwriting feedback session in the ASC offices (for finalists only).
- One free youth ticket to SIX STORIES TALL, which returns to ASC in the Spring of 2017!
- All submissions due by December 22nd.
- Finalists announced and finalist workshop held: Early January
- Finalists’ scripts due by January 16th.
- Winner announced: January 23rd
- Final script edited, formatted, and submitted to national contest by January 28th.
- Celebratory performance- Spring 2017
About the Competition
The mission of Young Playwrights for Change is to produce meaningful conversations that will ripple across our nation to provoke change. Finalists for the local competition will get to see their pieces performed at Adventure Stage Chicago in the Spring of 2017, and if your piece is selected as the national winner, it will be professionally produced at the One Theatre World gathering in California in May of 2017!